2012, ROW80 and Sustainable Goals
In the New Year, may your right hand always be stretched out in friendship but never in want.
I was reading a post on goal setting a couple days ago called Sustainable Change and realized that a lot of the goals I set fall into this category:
See people are really bad about setting ridiculous goals. ESPECIALLY when it comes to New Year’s Resolutions. Don’t tell me you haven’t said “I’m gonna lose 20 pounds by the end of January!” or “I’m going to get an agent by the end of the year!” Do you see a problem with these kinds of goals?
Well, apart from the fact that they’re big, they’re all or nothing, and to an extent, they aren’t in your control. See, these aren’t goals, they’re end results.
Maybe that’s why I’m always so against making New Year’s resolutions. Because I tend to set end results. So, from now on I’m going to focus on “measurable steps” instead.
Along those lines, some Steps for 2012:
- I am going to send out a minimum of 8 queries a month to agents who fit my ms criteria (as soon as said ms is done being edited)
- I am going to write at least 2k words per day
- I am going to devote at least 30 minutes per day to Tai Chi (because I’ve always wanted to try it, that’s why)
- I am going to work my dogs as often as I can to the best of mine and their abilities on that particular day
- I am going to not worry about things I have no control over (and stop trying to get control over things I have no control over)
- I am going to continue to have fun in life because, otherwise, what’s the sense?
- I will stop beating myself up when I don’t hit a goal on any given day and realize that some things are out of my control (see above goal)
There could be more, one never knows. And in regards to the second bullet point, I have officially thrown my hat in the ring for A Round of Words in 80 Days which officially begins on the 2nd. I will post updates on Wednesdays and Sundays (or at least attempt to).
So Happy New Year everyone! What are your goals for 2012?